June 27, 2019
The Law Offices of Shawn B. Hamp, a criminal defense law firm in northwest Arizona is seeking a self-motivated, experienced professional for our position as a criminal legal assistant.
The candidate will be responsible for preparing and filing misdemeanor and felony court pleadings; speaking with clients, opposing counsel, court staff, and probation officers; and managing attorneys' calendars and interviewing clients. Accepting payments and managing accounts receivable; preparing case files for court appearances' and performing general paralegal duties. Criminal law experience is preferred. Excellent telephone skills are required.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Answer incoming calls.
- Assist clients via phone and email.
- Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software; confirming case status with attorney.
- Update clients verbally and via email on their case status as needed
- Resolve problems and professionally handle client's issues.
- Perform general and administrative office duties.
- Conduct research on relevant laws, regulations, and court procedures.
- Organize and maintain documents in paper and electronic filing systems.
- Gather and arrange evidence and other legal documents for attorney review and case preparation.
- Draft correspondence and legal documents, such as motions and request for discovery.
- File exhibits, briefs, appeals and other legal documents with the court or opposing counsel.
- Call clients, witnesses, lawyers, and outside vendors to schedule interviews, meetings, and depositions.
- Maintains case costs by verifying outstanding balances with the attorney, clients, and providers.
- Assist with trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed; taking courtroom notes.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
$13-$15/hour depending on experience.
- Interviewing and problem-solving skills.
- Effective telephone communication skills.
- Ability to resolve difficult situations and escalating phone calls calmly and effectively.
- Ability to advise others regarding an appropriate course of action.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and able to work independently to determine work priorities and meet deadlines as required.
- Ability to successfully complete multiple projects simultaneously while managing competing priorities.
- Excellent communication (oral and written)
- Proficient in computer applications (G-Suite, Gmail, Apple IOS a plus)
- Ability to accurately type 40+ wpm
- Associate Degree or equivalent
- Criminal law experience preferred
How to Apply:
Interested applicants must follow these steps. All other inquiries will not be considered.
Step #1: Email your resume as a PDF attachment to [email protected]
Step #2: Include a cover letter PDF describing why you feel you would be a good fit for this position.
Step #3: Provide three references. (Name, How do they know you? Email address, Phone number)
This office is an equal opportunity employer. All inquiries held strictly confidential.